Cob: Re: straw wattle

andrea arnold yodasroom at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 18:46:09 CDT 2003

We were on Whidbey Island, WA.  Soils here are either
very heavy clay or very dry sand.  We were using a
soil that was almost pure clay from one part of the
property,and mixing it with another that was almost
pure sand.  I'd say for everything we did  - cob,
strawbale, light straw/clay, straw wattle, wattle and
daub, earthen floor, earthen plasters - we used much
more clay than sand.  I used to think that it would be
good to have a sandy site because you needed more sand
than clay anyway, but now I see you need tons of
both!!  - Andrea