Cob: white clay

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 3 09:08:50 CDT 2003

Lucky you, you can make designs in different colors of clay!  I'm mildly
envious.  All we've got is red clay.
What is white and comes in seams in the clay and chert seems to be chalk.
Definitely not clay.

I'm pulverizing some of my load of red clay for the floor, am finding that
as dry as possible, and stomped by foot, works the best.  Haven't tried any
kind of mixer, but since the one I've got is the Oddjob (plastic,
human-powered, holds one bag of concrete) I doubt it would do much.  But
even it might be fine for MIXING.
Brad Calvert wrote (snipped):

Nearby I saw some excavation work and noticed lumps of white clay among the
usual brown clay.  Maybe white clay occurs in seams that could be dug out
with a spade, but this was relatively mixed up.  There were quite a few
brick-sized lumps of pure white clay, slightly creamy in colour.
I was thinking about cement mixers, maybe they would be Ok to mix dry(ish)
ingredients, to avoid it all sticking to the sides, but wet enough so clay
dust does not go everywhere.