Cob: Russsian stoves

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 10 23:25:52 CDT 2003

The only thing I can remember from reading The Brothers Karamozov is that
one of the brothers was always climbing up on the stove and going to sleep.

I wanted one then--I was in high school--and I want one now!  The cob bench
would work!

Darel wrote:

Russian stoves use thermal design principals to derive thermal benefits in a
masonry stove, reportedly invented and initially designed in Russian by a
Mr. Podgorodnikov.  So correctly, a masonry stove is simply any kind of
stove made out of masonry.   A cob stove with or without rocks, designed
properly can function in the same was as a cement and rock or lime and rock
stove.   I believe the main area to be concerned with, if you use metal
internal cavities, would be expansion and contraction of contiguous
materials.   A buffer might be needed of air of a certain material.