Cob: fibrous paper & reinforcement

Donna Strow dstrow at bcpl.net
Tue Aug 12 00:30:42 CDT 2003

Wow!  This stuff you're talking about -- is it an homogenous mix, or a
lime-plaster coat on a papercob structure?

Personally, I was thinking of making a papier mache roof for my barn, then
coating it with rags dipped in cement slurry, finally coating the top with
some kind of waterproofing thing that works well with cement.  It went over
well with the folks travelling with me from Sequatchie Valley Institute (TN)
to our respective midatlantic area homes.  But it sounds like you've run
some serious tests, so I'm eager to hear what you think of it.

I have one garden bowl made ONLY of paper, clay and
lime that continues to hold water as a birdbath after 3 years outside in
all weather..so the stuff can be resiliant. (the lime and clay are
making a natural Roman cement, therefore the strength)