Cob: experience is overrated -- an eight-year-old with acookbook could do this stuff!

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Mon Aug 11 02:57:35 CDT 2003

Donna Strow wrote:

>This is very interesting and I appreciate it.

I don't.  I prefer you to keep on the subject and stop going off on tangets.

>I'm wondering, though, could the reading of case histories replace some of the monotony of practice-learning?

You mean like learning how to swim on your front room carpet after
having read a book about how to swim against a 10 mph wind in a  50
degree F pool of water?

>Also, a curious learning phenomenon followed me in the development of my
>artistic skill

Or lack thereof...

>...discover that I'd gotten much better during my hiatus.

Not likely.  People get rusty... not better.

>Would you agree, though, that, at some point prior to finishing an
>appreciable portion of a wall, a student becomes bored and the learning
>curve flattens for a long, monotonous time?

No. I wouldn't.  The challenges never end..

>.....not make the Mona Lisa of barns, but I never fancied anyone needed a great work of barn art.

People have their own fancies apart from and independent from yours.

>Am I being too cockey in just
>plunging ahead, armed to the teeth with stories but lacking the skill that
>comes with embracing the monotony over the years?

No just terribly boring.

>" There
>is so much to learn and the nuances of it all are HUGE."  Please tell me
>about some nuances.

I don't think you'd get the "huge" nuances, let alone the sublte ones at
this point.

>It just occurred to me that those silly "labs" in high school might have
>contributed to this "tell-me" mindset I have.

The labs weren't silly, people who call them silly are.

Darel