Cob: experience is overrated -- an eight-year-old with a cookbook could do this stuff!

Donna Strow dstrow at bcpl.net
Tue Aug 12 20:38:45 CDT 2003

This is great.  It's a lot like my considered reply to everyone should have
been.  Let me use this occasion to share some of my culminating thoughts.

Many of the plugs for experience are for collective experience, which
includes case histories conveyed verbally.

Many people truly do learn better by doing, atleast 2 that I've heard from.
There's no reason for me not to believe them.  There's no reason for them
not to believe me.

I love the replies I got about being an inventor and an expiramenter.  If
there's no case history available about (my fave example) papier mache roofs
coated with cement soaked rags (burlap, yes, thankyou, Taylor P.) how much
sweat off my back would it be to make a doghouse with such a roof just to
try it out.  I won't deny the value of this to myself, to the scouts, to
anybody.  But if  someone else has already tried it I might not want to
bother.  For example, someone used a cement plaster on a cob structure; it
fell off; I won't try it!

And if someone filmed their well-known and verified physics or chemistry
expirament I'm not gonna be one of the kids who votes to do it in the
classroom anyway.  But that does *not* make me silly, just different from
the person who said it.

And if Goshawk's lines below don't express the rest of my conclusions, then
they must have slipped my mind.