Cob: Limited/No building code areas

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 15 07:28:33 CDT 2003

I don't know if it's all of Tennessee, but....  Tennessee is listed as
having only electrical code, (administered by your local utility in our case
anyway), but in addition our county and at least the neighboring ones
require some sort of liquid waste disposal (e.g. septic tank) approval
before you can even apply for mains electricity.  And I think septic tank or
alternative system if that is approvable before you are hooked up.  Since it
is the state health department person who does the septic tank stuff, I'd
guess it's state-wide.  He also looks at wells when that is called for, as
when some people I know adopted a child.

If you are all PV you may well be able to bypass this, but....
Parts of two messages here.

"Shannon C. Dealy" <dealy at deatech.com> wrote:"This should help greatly for
people looking to
avoid code battles, but remember to always check if there have been any
recent changes, or are any changes in progress at the state, county, or
city level before proceeding."

Thanks Shannon! Just thought I'd mention that anyone excited by the "None"
("there are no statewide codes for any buildings") under all the PA
categories should be warned that that will be changing in the near future. I
don't (although I should) know all the specifics, but would be happy to
investigate further if anyone out there cares to know more.

Leslie

"Though men now possess the power to dominate and exploit every corner of
the natural world, nothing in that fact implies that they have the right or
the need to do so."    ----Edward Abbey