Cob: FW: PEM and lime plasters -- correction

Donna Strow dstrow at bcpl.net
Sun Aug 17 23:02:13 CDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Donna Strow [mailto:dstrow at bcpl.net]
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 11:50 PM
To: Donna Strow
Subject: RE: PEM and lime plasters -- correction

I think I mean paper cob, not PEM!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-coblist at deatech.com [mailto:owner-coblist at deatech.com]On
Behalf Of Donna Strow
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 11:32 PM
To: va-sk at juno.com; coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Cob: PEM and lime plasters

Maybe I joined the list too late to catch all the great stuff about PEM... I
was just reviewing old posts looking for the recipe for PEM  (paper, clay
and powdered lime?  a dense mix, right?  but what proportions?) and the
properties thereof.  Also, I'm looking for a good lime plaster recipe.

Specifically, I've decided on an humble cat house for a first solo project
(hey, the cat needs one; she's pregnant,) and PEM sounds like a grand thing
to use to save tame waterproofing *if* it really behaves like cob in terms
of being permeable by air and of packing thermal ballast to keep the kitties
warm in winter and cool in summer.

Meanwhile Ima surf for a lime plaster recipe.  (Sorry, Taylor P.; too broke
to be buying the recipe book just yet :))  Cya.