Cob: finishing projects, truths about owner-builders

Russell Theodore Holzinger IAM at AvidDesignStudio.com
Mon Aug 18 14:24:26 CDT 2003

No one these days likes reality.
Without Truth you can never know Love though.

Russell Theodore Holzinger
Principal Designer
AVID Design Studio
Phone: (503) 961-9010
IAM at AvidDesignStudio.com <mailto:IAM at AvidDesignStudio.com>

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-coblist at deatech.com [mailto:owner-coblist at deatech.com]On
Behalf Of D.J. Henman
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 7:48 PM
To: Coblist
Subject: Re: Cob: finishing projects, truths about owner-builders

Amanda,

Amanda Peck wrote:.......... snipped...

> I'm delighted to see people on this list start with "Oh, wow, free
> house" then go through the soul-searching, the planning and the building.

Why are you delighted that people are deluding themselves?  That's a
little rash perhaps.  But, assume that they quit work, or don't seek
gainful employment, to build the house, then they would loose those
wages which they would otherwise have earned.   This lost wages is the
cost of  labor for building the structures.   In some cases it would be
cheaper to hire someone to build it for you.  Though one would miss a
lot of the fun, pain, joy and drudgery incurred in building a structure.
Additionally, the cost of the land is a factor, as a house can't be
built in the sky yet.   Not to mention the cost of fixtures, pipes,
plumbing, wires, wiring, sewers, etc.

I think it would be better to let people know the real cost, that
letting them think that it'll be free.  Now the cost of the soil is low,
but you have to own the land, and if not you might have to import the
right soil at a probably low cost of it plus, there will be a
transportation cost.

The best situation is  when people approach each project with a
realistic idea of what they are about to encounter so as to not be
discouraged by finding out that there are real costs and time and labor
constraints, not to mention potential governmental, i.e., building
regulations, problems which must be dealt with in one way or another.

Darel