Cob: Costs: Lime versus cement

Lance Collins collinsl at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 21 01:45:31 CDT 2003

Hi,

I'm curious about the relative cost of lime and cement in the US.

Having been convinced of the merits of lime over cement by Charmaine's
posts I thought I'd better try out some lime work.    When I went to the
local lime works I was a bit shocked at the price of hydrated lime.

I get cement at $A10.50 for a 40Kg bag.  For lime it's $A9.90 for a 25Kg
bag.   I was under the impression that cement manufacture was a more
expensive and energy intensive process than calcining lime.

Lance in Australia