Cob: Cob/Lime/Borax/Mold/Follow through

Kim West kwest at arkansas.net
Thu Aug 21 11:03:42 CDT 2003

BlankAbout the third day after we started cobbing we were dismayed to discover that the first day's work was moldy. Not knowing exactly what to do we dusted the cob with some hydrated lime and continued dusting the new cob each day. I had thought to use Borax instead but not knowing the chemical composition of it and whether or not it would create more problems than it would solve, we went with the lime. I was afraid that the borax may contain salts and somewhere I read that salts were bad for this I think. Anyway, the mold disappeared and no new growth has been observable by the naked eye so the lime seems to be working. Does anyone here have any experience with mold in their cob or have any idea if dusting every day with the hydrated lime may have consequences/benefits?

Yes, Darel, we do have many pictures of the work we are doing and have been sending some to the people that we correspond with off of the list. We were posting them at a geocities site but it was so slow and ornery that we stopped using it and deleted almost all of what was there. I would like to find a good [and free] site to use to post the progress pics though. Also, you said something to Amanda the other day that gave me the impression that many people start cob projects yet do not follow through. Is that a big problem with people who begin cobbing--not following through?

Kim

  Anyone who would like to try applying an earth/manure finish to cob
and lath walls is welcome to stop by. I used a saturated solution of borax to
hydrate the clay and manure. This cuts the odor problem a little and kills off
all the parasites other bugs that might reside in fresh horse manure.

-Ed

Good point. I forgot about this. If its too bad a fan might need to be
used. If you do thin layers it shouldn't be a problem. This might be
more a problem with cob walls. They might take too long to dry out and
a mold could start to grow thereon.

-Darel