Cob: Goat Shelter

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Thu Aug 21 23:37:05 CDT 2003

Rachael,

R M wrote:

> I've been reading the discussion of building an animal shelter with
> interest, as I have a friend who wants to buy a couple of goats, and
> needs to build some sort of shelter for them.  Both for economic
> reasons, and a desire to be kind to the environment, she's interested
> in natural building.  Her neighbor has a huge mountain of urbanite in
> front of his house from tearing out his driveway, so the suggestion of
> a 'tiled' floor mortared with cement is a possibility.

Goats like dirt, give them a dirt floor.   What's with this tile thing.?

> My questions are:
> Do the things written earlier about cob not being suitable for a large
> animal shelter apply to a smaller shelter with just a couple of animals?

Nobody wrote earlier about cob being not suitable.   What led you to
believe this?

> We live in Las Vegas, where it gets extremely hot in the summer. Can
> cob protect adequately from these extreme hot temperatures (at least
> adequately enough for goats to be comfortable?)

Enough for people to be comfortable so I should think the goats would
like it.  Especially with that nice diunral swing you have in Las Vegas.

> TIA,
> Rachel

AIT,
   Darel