Cob: Introduction

Alberto Duran gravelwalk4 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 12:28:14 CDT 2003

Greetings Cobbers!

I've been on this list for about a month and thought I should jump in
and introduce myself. My name is Alberto and I live in Banquete, Texas.
This is a small farm community about 35 miles west of Corpus Christi.
Out here the soil is a heavy black clay referred to as Victorian clay.
There is NO sand in this stuff! Luckily, there  are two quarry's nearby
where I can obtain a variety of materials for fairly cheap. BTW- I am
envious of you folk that are building out in the hill country! I know that
around Kerrville, for instance, there are a lot of great building materials
by way of large rocks (limestone?)  which would be great for foundations.
Speaking of which- around here there has recently been drought
conditions which can cause the ground to crack and split. Sometimes,
for example, when I water my plants (I grow gourds) the ground will just
collapse and the water just keeps going and going and ( someone earlier
brought up the silly cartoon idea of this water leaking down to
China...ya never know..) it never will fill up since its so deep!  Anyway,
this is obviously a concern since I would not want something that I build
to just slip away.  And-I really hate the idea of having to pour a concrete slab for
a foundation. It may be that I'll have to eventually build using a method other
than cob- straw bale  for instance. I've considered perhaps using the rubble
trench method for a foundation but... I'm just not sure. I've had a little past
experience working with clay (the kind that you fire) so cob really has the
most appeal to me for a building material!
Sorry this got a bit long! Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

              Sincerely,
           Alberto Duran