Cob: Paper Cob

Abe Connally abe at abeconnally.com
Tue Aug 26 14:04:25 CDT 2003

Hey kids,

I am working on a cob house in the middle of the Chihuahuan Desert.  Many people
out here have stumbled upon using papercrete as a building material.  I am
wondering if anyone has done, or knows about, a paper and cob mixture?  It seems
to me that it might help lighten the load and provide some fiber strength as
well.  I dunno, it might just crumble away as well.

I prefer to cob using forms.  These walls are about 2 ft thick at the bottom,
but I use the form to create the interior foot and a half or so.  Then, paster
on for about 4 inches, inside and out.  This makes for fast growing walls, and
still maintains the decorative edge of cob.

The paper-cob mixture might be a good way of using the form method as well.
Faster, lighter, maybe.

Abe
---