Cob: Introduction

D.J. Henman henman at it.to-be.co.jp
Wed Aug 27 23:12:23 CDT 2003

Mick,

mick stone wrote:

> why is a concrete slab a bad idea for a foundation?

If there are other ways to reduce portland cement quantities used, the
better off the world is and alternatives might save you money.

> i'm thinking for my future project in costa rica where summertime
> rainfall is high that i will need to put in a concrete slab to get the
> floor level of my house up a bit from the ground level which can
> become soggy and drenched. is this not a good idea?

I don't think you have to pour a slab floor just to rise.   There are
other ways, since old times for stabilizing earth build upon.   Even
road construction used earth stabilization packing a mix of  soil,
lime, gravel, sand.    I suppose that the local people originally build
the floors up high to let air floor under to keep cool as well.   These
were probably on a post foundations.

Foundations for a cob wall

It would be interesting challenge to design a cob structure with a
raised floor.   The foundation and could be rock and cement for the
cob.   You still might want to stabilize the ground around it.

It was a custom to do a soil/lime rammed earth path around the house to
people could walk around it and not walk through mud.

Just some ideas for you.

Darel