Cob: damp concrete

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 28 08:42:29 CDT 2003

I once lived in an apartment  in which the bedroom was a converted
garage--concrete floor.  Winter and summer, that floor remained somewhere
between damp and soggy.  Of course, if the builders had known it would end
up as a bedroom, they could have insulated the thing, put waterproofing
below, and so on.  But that would have made it a PROJECT, instead of just a
concrete floor.

Mike Stone asked:

why is a concrete slab a bad idea for a foundation?

i'm thinking for my future project in costa rica where summertime rainfall
is high that i will need to put in a concrete slab to get the floor level of
my house up a bit from the ground level which can become soggy and drenched.
is this not a good idea?