Cob: electrical

Patrick Newberry PNewberry at HFHI.org
Wed Sep 10 08:46:09 CDT 2003

I have some buired in the cob itself and some in the ceiling. The part that is buired in the cob will remain and if I have problems would just leave it. In all honesty the part that is buired if very unlikely to have problems or catch fire. Most problems occur at junctions or outlets. All wire buired is solid wire, any junctions, the wire comes out of the cob, into a junction box that is accessable and then back in the cob or over to what ever I am wiring.

Pat
www.gypsyfarm.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Amanda Peck [mailto:ap615 at hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 9:05 AM
To: coblist at deatech.com
Subject: Re: Cob: electrical

In some areas--not mine--your local electric company has guidelines for
general wiring, usually free, you don't have to tell them that you aren't
going to be on the grid.  But if you--or the people who buy it way on down
the line--ever might want to be on the grid, the house will have to have an
electrical inspection, might as well do it right to start with.

And sometime early in the planning process it would be worthwhile to talk to
an electrician.  If you don't you could get--UGLY--conduit on the surface,
indoors and out.  If you're planning a fairly substantial earthen plaster,
conduit can be buried in that, wires run as needed.  I'd put  in a GFI,
although  GFI's can be a source of what are called phantom loads.  Some
places have ended up with a dozen of them, which in the original propaganda
were not required.  And there's something else required by some codes.  I'd
trust myself to do all the plumbing before I'd do the wiring.

You DON'T want to lose your house to an electrical fire.

Been there, done that. (even if it wasn't unsafe wiring on my part)

Mary Hooper wants to know:

Will someone tell me something about installing electrical systems. Do the
wires go outside the wall or are they embedded? that sort of thing. I have
not bought a how-to book yet. This interests me as my honey would not put an
outlet in the basement (concrete floor) bathroom unless it had a ground
fault interrupter.
The solar panels have to connect to inside somehow. Maybe it's wired like a
"regular" house?
thanks
Mary

Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95.
https://broadband.msn.com