[Cob] Shique?

Kim West kwest at arkansas.net
Sat Sep 20 21:02:03 CDT 2003

I was watching Extreme Homes not too long ago and it featured a home in
Okinawa [if I remember correctly] that was made of what they called shique.
It was described a a traditional building material of soil and straw. The
shique part of the home that they showed was tunnel shaped and part of it
was covered with a roof and part of it was left exposed to see how the
weather would affect the earth tunnel. As of the time that the show was made
the shique showed no signs of damage from the complete exposure. I did a web
search and so far have found no additional information on shique. I was
wanting to know more specifics on its method and use and see how much it is
like cob since it is made from soil and straw as cob is. It sounds to me as
if they may be one and the same thing. Anyone here know more about shique
and whether there are any websites where it is expounded upon?

Thanks.