[Cob] unfired tiles

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 12 17:20:55 CDT 2003

Not sure if she intended to put a link in there or not, but there are a
handful of them.  Cinva Ram type (see http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com for
information--Our anthropologist/puppet maker in Michigan is using the
manufactured version of this type), but also others.  Somebody in Decatur
Alabama, I think, was making some diesel powered monster that took three or
more people to operate, but the blocks could be laid directly onto the
building and were literally bulletproof, and a couple of hand- and maybe
machine-power operated devices coming out of India that featured inserts to
produce half-height or half-length or half-width blocks. I may get around to
looking up some of those tonight.  I'll post if I do.  My guess is that
unless they were especially designed to do so, none of these produce
interchangeable tiles, all might have differing mix and curing requirements.
  And one or all might work for an earthen floor that might be more or less
annoying to build than just putting in your cob mix and tamping the #$%#!!
out of it, burnishing when partly dry.  The manufactured blocks might or
might not have a good finish on them straight out of the press.

Jenny asked:
Hi there, is this a machine for making rammed earth brick/tiles that you are
referring to?

http://msnmessenger-download.com