[Cob] FW: slobs meet slabs

Donna Strow dstrow at bcpl.net
Fri Oct 17 23:04:11 CDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Donna Strow [mailto:dstrow at bcpl.net]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 11:59 PM
To: Raduazo at aol.com
Subject: slobs meet slabs

I know a man who laid stone haphazardly, such that it could never have been
dry-stacked but depended heavily on the mortar.  Then he moved into the
house and lived happily ever after for 30 years.    In 800 years people may
say, his house is gone now because he laid the stone clumsily.   Someone (a
previous resident) took the same approach to the habachi grill on my
property which is only 20 years old.  It already has a crack.  I wonder why
the former was more successful than the latter when both were haphazard.
Maybe the heat of the grill plays havoc with stressed materials.  Anyway, I
wasn't banking on doing a professional stone job, so chalk one up for cob.

Oooh, but for warmth... Don't you think it might work if I used very small
stones -- 5 lb pebbles.  That way, if there were some bad vectors going on
they'd be itty bitty vectors that wouldn't hurt?