[Spam 55.64%] [Cob] Cob:long response to some of Jill's questions

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 27 19:32:06 CST 2003

The rest of the sentence was " for ten grand."

and the time somebody thought that, it needed to built within the year, as I
recall.

I've also come down pretty hard here (tennessee) on people who talk the talk
and end up throwing up a 2 x 4 stick built place.

If you really truly have need for a large house, have gone through the
visualization exercises, read a lot about construction in general, not to
mention natural building in general, cob in particular, sure. If you have a
bunches of friends you can count on.  If you have the ability to mix your
cob with a tractor or rototiller. If, if.  If you can afford the footings,
foundation, roof, plumbing, and so on.  I have seen enough designs floated
to make me think that anyone who talks about square footage first, has been
looking at plan books or model houses and finding the nicest looking of
those, and not doing their homework on how much space they NEED, what are
their hot button issues (two of mine include--MUST have a bathTUB, MUST have
two doors and maybe even one more fire escape route.).

Plans need to be as organic as the building.  An internet acquaintance in
another forum is looking for a subdivision house--$250-$300,000 worth of
house and lot.  They fell in love with a model house, showed us the plans
from the developer's website.  I asked back if she'd noticed, among other
things, that the laundry room was separated from any outside door by
thirty-five feet or so, and the route to the back yard was through the
living room?  Uh, no, they'd fallen love with the dramatic foyer in the
model house.  But they really did love laundry from the line, weren't
planning on using their dryer much at all.

That's why I keep pushing Christopher Alexander.

Biggish houses naturally built?   I'd look to other materials as well.
Strawbale or CEB, adobe, possibly earthbag or papercrete.  Especially if you
weren't going to be able to live on-site while it was being built, or have a
couple of years to settle in and work with the land before you built, take a
year off from work to work with one of the slipform materials, or cordwood
(a friend of mine HATED the way the asian lady-beetles invaded the cracks in
his cordwood home--he plastered it over on the outside).

If a person needs (or wants) a 2000 sf house, isn't it better for them to
make it from cob than to make it using conventional, power- and
resource-hogging construction materials?  Shouldn't they be encouraged to
pursue cob as a construction material, rather than be treated coldly?

just my 2cents.  I'm always discouraged when people take a good idea and
then get too dogmatic about it.  If I misunderstood what you meant then I
apologize...

Gabe