[Cob] checklist for cob house

Jilly JILLPRUETT at peoplepc.com
Sun Nov 2 19:36:08 CST 2003

Okay, so aside from design (which should be site specific, right?) I am making a preliminary checklist of things to get / save for over the winter, pending the spring build-fest...

Heating - I am so far going with the gas stove that vents out the wall (such as Monitor - brand name) Any suggestions / comments?

Plumbing - aside from the obvious, pipes, there is the bathroom - anyone know where I can get a "small" bath or one of those Japanese type baths (which as very small circumference, but deep enough to cover your shoulders?) I thought of a sunken tub, and tiling it, as I see in some of the old Adobe books. But most of you wrote me to say this was not smart. Any other ideas? Bathing is important, or rather soaking. As I get so cold easily from Reynauds (poor circulation)
I am going with the wall mount half-sink, for it's very small size and fun creative design. You can get wall mounted handles and spout, then choose just about anything for the basin (including a ceramic bowl..), or choose one that is quite small and one unit. I am also choosing the wall mounted toilet, as they as space saving too, as well as low-water use.
Kitchen plumbing - no plan yet. .. suggestions?
Septic...no thoughts yet here either... suggestions?
Grey water system for sure..
Rain catch system for sure as well..

Roofing - metal so far, though the prices I am getting are pretty expensive.

That's about as far as I got so far. Since it is not exactly cob specific, you can email me directly if you wish.

Thanks
jilly