[Cob] (COB) licensed eng-Ecobuild plaster presention

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Mon Nov 3 16:59:45 CST 2003

He said that they do in fact have a "alternative building materials"
section of the code. They accept anything - "that is certified by an
engineer".
So the question is, how can I find an engineer (licensed in WA) that is
familiar with cob, straw bale, ect. ? I have been going down the list in
the phone book, with no luck. Any suggestions?
I saw some site that listed a few cob homes going up in various WA
locations. But there were no links to follow up with those owners.
Thanks, jilly
+++++++++++++++++++++

JIlly, finding one may be difficult, I can recommend John Fordice of
OtherFish in CA. He's been working on cob codes for years.

this is the address and info I have:
John Fordice  Other Fish Architect
COB CODE PROJECT   c/o John Fordice, 1828 Fifth Street Berkeley, Ca. 94710,
(510) 549-1033 phone/fax   Quote: I have drafted a PROPOSED COB TESTING
PROGRAM as a beginning vehicle in the search for funding. Contact me if
you can provide any assistance for contacts, resources, or funding.

Another resource may be the Eco Building Guild in WA / OR.  online at
www.ecobuilding.org      check for your city/region on the home page
they don't have many cobbers tho..mostly wood frame and hybrid folks

I joined this group in the Eugene OR chapter as the closest alt. build
group to me (other than the CASBA straw balers in CA)
Actually I am giving a presentation on "natural and alt plasters" on
Dec. 3 at the Eugene site.   Lime, clay and gypsum will be coverd, it's
free to the public..check out the website...would be great to see some
faces from this group if anyone can attend!

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 375, Cutten   CA 95534 707-441-1632    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com