[Cob] roof trusses

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 6 09:31:39 CST 2003

Yep, that's the bottom of the ceiling structure.  Rafters/trusses, etc.
above that.

What IS that white stuff hanging down?  It wouldn't make me feel secure,
living under such a ceiling, looks like it's going to chip when I remove the
inevitable spiders' webs or maybe just all fall out on my face when I'm
sleeping.

If you had that kind of ceiling, you might be better off to plaster the
voids.  I'd rather have this--from the same site (but it might still not be
my first choice):

http://www.idahoforest.com/HOM/images/Corner%20Moulding.jpg

even though I think they did an ugly job on the moulding (I would have
wanted straight boards, too hard to cope the curved moulding to fit other
curved moulding in that corner) which was what they seem to be showing off
here.  And for me it would look better above a nice COB!! wall, and
whitewashed to give me more light in the room.

The question is: how do you fit all these logs together?  It can be done for
pieces that aren't too close together--ceiling joists--with a chain saw
mill--like the 2 x 4 jig that Tim put together or a store-boughten one.  But
if you are doing a whole ceiling that way, you might be better off taking
your lumber to the sawmill and having them split your larger logs, then cut
the sides off each half, so that they are even, any log can be put anywhere,
you've got a nice surface--still rough-cut--for your loft floor. You lose
the strength of the round logs, but still--probably--just have one layer
above your room.

Using whole--or trimmed one or three sides--large logs for that purpose
would be HEAVY, maybe requiring support beyond your cob walls, overbuilding
for the sake of looks alone.  Might not be the inexpensive way to go.

http://www.idahoforest.com/components/IMAGES/ceiling4.jpg

I can't find the original photos, but the one above is pretty similar.
I thought I would use logs for both loft and roof support. I would like the
logs exposed, but not anything else. At least not when you look "up".

Above that, I assume there are all the things you described. No?

jilly

Send a QuickGreet with MSN Messenger
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_games