[Cob] hybrid bales bags

Scott Van Kirk scott at mho.com
Sat Nov 8 14:12:12 CST 2003

Joe, you bring up some good points that I think anyone building their own
homes should consider.
Building a house is not like building a tree fort or a table.  There are
serious ramifications
to building a house that is not structurally sound.  Injury and death can
come from not understanding
what is necessary.  For that reason, I would always advocate getting
someone who has been involved
with building for a long time to help a person building a house for the
first time.  Even better,
get an engineer/architect with experience in these things to approve of
your design and oversee the construction.  ( I know some people might throw
stones at me for this, but I think the money invested in engineering is
money well spent ).  I agree that many of the structures being built today
might
not last, but I think that is a failure of understanding more than a lack
in the materials themselves.

I am not sure that you are correct on the strength of earthbags.   It is
certainly true
that bags of gravel or some sort of aggrigate rely on the strength of the
bags but
it is my understanding that for an earthen fill with a good clay soil (15-
30%), the soil becomes
compacted much like rammed earth ( or cob ) and gains a great deal of
strength. In
this case the bag looses any support function that it might have had.   I
have been told by
people who build these types of houses that after the wall has set, the
bags can be just cut off
if desired.

I would be very interested in hearing about the failures you have seen with
strawbale.
I am working with people who have built dozens of these buildings, both
loadbearing and
infill.  What they tell is that the failures that they have seen always
results from poor detailing and subsequent water damage.  A good,
successfull straw bale design begins from the ground up. First, the straw
should be 6-8 inches from the ground and
have a good water barrier between it and the foundation.  Next, the doors
and the windows
need to be well detailed with drip sills and flashing to keep water from
the straw. Finally
It needs a solid, leak free roof which provides for a large overhang to
protect the walls from driving rain.  If you have these features, a straw
bale house will last as long as any
stick framed house.  There are example straw bale houses which have been
around over 100 years.  Like I said before, get someone who knows
construction to help.  Proper detailing
for windows, doors and roofs is well known.  All the techniques developed
over time for
conventional houses apply just as well to straw bales.  Also, all natural
building techniques
that I have heard of require good maintenance.  Getting out yearly and
filling cracks
in your plaster is important when building with materials that can degrade
with water.
I'm not trying to be complete in my list here, there are other things to be
aware of, but
those are covered in many books and newgroups.

I agree that the walls gain a lot of strength from the completion of the
box, but I don't necessarily agree that a straw bale wall does not count in
completing the box.  Straw is
very strong and has some nice properties that cob doesn't have.  Straw
walls that have
been kept dry are very resiliant.  They will not tend to fail like a more
brittle material.
The tests that I have read about show that a straw bale wall is very much
stronger than
a stick frame wall.  In the general, hand waving sense, they tend to resist
earthquakes better than cob because they are flexible and elastic whereas
cob is brittle and can crack.
Straw bales themselves are perfectly adequate for supporting a roof all by
themselves, but
when you coat them in a plaster, they become even stronger.  If you make a
straw bale wall
to complete the box, you will be continuing the cob onto that wall in the
form of the
plaster.  With this I would think that you would get good wall integrity
and strength.

On top of this, bales provide excellent insulation.  Some people claim that
all you need is thermal
mass to provide comfort but this is not always the case. In places with
long cold, cloudy
winters, uninsulated cob will perform very poorly.  I have talked to many
people who verify
that this is so.  Therefore, I think that it is worth exploring (
cautiously ) how these
materials can complement each other.

I have to admit that for me, most of this is a mental exercise.  I have not
gone out and
built a hybrid house myself.  I have not seen one last 100 years.  But I
have seen very
old straw bale houses which are essentially straw bales coated with cob.  I
am familiar with the
properties of both of these materials and it seems like they complement
each other very well.

-Scott