[Cob] Hybrids - structural flexibility issues

otherfish otherfish at comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 22:19:46 CST 2003

Scott,
Jonathon,
Jilly,

There is nothing wrong with, and alot to be gained in building hybrid
structures.  Stabilized or protected earth bag, cob, and strawbale  all have
a lot to offer and can make an excellent building if done in a manner that
takes into account the nature of how each acts structurally.

A very critical part of that consideration, and one which I've not seen in
this current discussion, is what can be called the structural period of a
material.  As has been already acknowledged, they each have a different
level of felexibility ( ie: period ).  Altho I don't know for sure, I
suspect that earth bag  & cob are probably fairly close in flexibility with
earth bag being a bit more flexible than cob.  However, there is a great
difference between the inherent flex of a strawbale wall versus that of cob.
The point of this is that when subjected to seismic or wind forces, each of
these materials is going to act differently.  So if you build a structure in
which you have any of these three wall materials (and whatever roof or floor
structures each material is supporting) relying on onother of these
materials for lateral (sideways) structural support, it's asking for
trouble.

In the event of severe ocurrences of these natural forces upon a building
there will be concentration of these differential flexibilty reactions at
the joints between these  materials.  There is the potential for failure of
the structure at these points.  This failure could spread into the adjoing
material if you are relying on one to buttress another.  There is also the
potential for parts of the building to pull away from the other parts for
the same reason.  Buildings gain their stability via  CONTINUITY between the
structural components / systems.  If you build in a way that compromises the
continuity of the structure, you create the potential for failure and
possible collapse of the building as a worst case.

So think upon this when you go hybrid and make sure that each of these
different wall materials is built to be integral unto itself, or if it is
relying on another differently acting material for support, then DO NOT have
that reliant material act as the structural support for anything other than
itself.  Even then, be careful that this reliant material is not potentially
hazerdous if it should separate ( & hence potentially fail structurally )
from the material upon which it is relying.

cob on !
john fordice

on 11/8/03 12:15 PM, kupononaturalbuilders at kuponobuilders at snowcrest.net