[Cob] hybrid systems(cobwood)

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Mon Nov 10 11:14:42 CST 2003

I spoke with Rob Roy in July and had a chance to question him on cobwood. He said that he didn't really have enough experience with cob to be able to comment too much on it. He said that it did look promising but that only time would tell.

We have a coalition member who has begun her cobwood home. She has the framing completed and the second story closed in with panels. It is too late here to begin cob as we have freezing weather already. Come April we'll be ready to have cobwood workshops and everyone can learn together.

Here in the mountains of North Carolina cob and cordwood make the most sense. Besides tourism, our only real industries are lumber and rock. There are always wood scraps available for free/cheap and I have had good success so far using rock dust in the place of sand. The price difference alone between rock dust ($9.50 a ton) and sand ($50.00 a ton) make rock dust the obvious choice as an aggregate in cob.

Phil Hawn
President
The North Carolina Natural Building Coalition
http://naturalbuilder.org