[Cob] Building Cob House in Mozambique

Kyle & Ginger Holton kyleandginger at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 00:38:37 CST 2003

Ok, I am brand spanking new to the e-group.  I would love any help you
could give to my situation.  Here it is:
I and my family will be moving to northern Mozambique in southern Africa
this December.  We will be working with the people
in community development in the rural areas.  We will be building our
home.  We plan to build according to the principles
of sustainability and will be catching rainwater, composting toilet,
etc.  Well, I've read the Hand Sculpted House Book and was
very impressed.  We want to build a mud home according to the principals
of cob along with the various methods of building
we learn from the people and their own vernacular architecture.  Well,
there's the background.  I have been trying to work on
a floor plan and am having trouble keeping it small and feel somewhat
lost with designing the house for passive cooling solely.
I would appreciate any bits of wisdom, resources and etc that you could
offer.  Thanks

Kyle