[Cob] cob on a slope

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 12 16:14:44 CST 2003

Sure.  Rob Roy's original cordwood book had a good section on that, as his
first house was built just that way.  Don't know about the new book, and the
original is long out of print.

Obviously you dig.  Spend quite a bit of time considering drains and
waterproofing.  Roy's first house had, I think, drains to daylight, 12"
block with a surface bond coating, (the house I've been in here was done
with slipform concrete, and I think no insulation on this house, relying
solely on thermal mass), with a waterproofing compound and insulation--don't
remember which was first, then backfilled--gravel close to the wall to let
water head to the drain--earth farther away.  then he switched to cordwood
masonry from there up.  You could do cob.

I've read of some all-wood foundations.  Not sure if they would be any
better than concrete--or surface bonded block--for this purpose.

And he doesn't mention it, but if you had a hill back of you that showed
signs of erosion, another retaining wall 10 feet back would be good.
Probably also complete with ways to channel water.

what I didn't have in Honolulu in a tiny cottage backed up to--not in--a
hill.  About once a year the back step would be covered with gravel that had
come down the hill.  Since we didn't have a hurricane when I lived there, I
was never faced with massive quantities of water coming hundreds of feet
down the mountain.

Can you build part of the house "in" the hill? Hopefully it is the north
facing side. How do those earthship ppl do that?

Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead?  Your old favorites are always
playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!