[Cob] Cob Roof

Marlin lightearth at onebox.com
Thu Nov 13 10:53:32 CST 2003

I'm VERY interested in experiments on locally made roofing using natural materials, probably a clay/fiber shingle or something. I find that one of the most unsustainable parts of natural building seems to be roofing (and foundations), not the wall systems.

For a Cob/earthen/strawbale building I've looked at thatch, metal, living roof (really very much a buried rubber roof) and have always wondered where the homemade/natural-material shingle is:

Criteria I'd like:

Made with earthen,grown or mineral materials
Able to setup production of them, on a small scale, almost anywhere
Installable with basic techniques AND repairable/replaceable for life of the house
Degradeable at the end of their useful life as shingles
Moderately lightweight enough to not have to create enormous roofing substructure
(Last but not least for me) An aesthetic that will look good for many people so that it is accessible to the public

A new local friend is beginning to convince me that thatch meets most these requirements but I'd like to see more then one option as thatch isn't for everyone/every situation/every aesthetic..

Any ideas would be very helpful, if this topic is drifting too far from Cob walls we could communicate off the list.

Thanks

Marlin Nissen

www.outtathebox.org