[Cob] cob and northern climates

Lyndsay Elliott rinjiiflower at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 20:24:56 CST 2003

   Dear Coblist,

   I am very interested in cob and have done much reading on the internet
   but I have found little information about building with cob in
   northern climats.  Is cob practical for this climate?  Also books on
   the subject are difficult for me to get a hold of this far north.

   Moisture issues. How does one contend with snow and keeping exterior
   walls from eroding? Will a lime exterior finish be able to cope with
   about 3 feet of snow sitting against it all winter? Will exterior need
   to be replastered every spring?

   How much does cob contract? climate here varies from 90F-0F.

   I have determined that plain cob walls would be very cold in winter,
   but I am wary about strawbale hybrids after reading that they may only
   last up to 20-30 years.  Also there seem to be moisture concerns with
   strawbales.  Snowmelt makes the ground here very wet, i read that
   stone in the walls below the straw will keep it from whicking up
   moisture but I am concerned that this would cool the house too much
   during the winter.

   The new [1]MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*