[Cob] cob sink

Taylor Publishing-DirtCheapBuilder tms at northcoast.com
Mon Nov 17 17:06:34 CST 2003

 OH.....I forgot to mention on the cob bathtub subject that making a
 lime-clay mix CAN produce a very durable waterproof basin.  I made a
paper- clay- lime bird bath bowl 3 years ago, and it holds water all
winter, and has not seriously eroded.

it has no sealer or protection, and sits in the garden all year. I was
shocked at how  well it stood up, and will leave it there until it
finally fails.

It was a high lime mix with just a little sand, shredded office paper,
and  high content sticky local clay.   As most of you know lime and clay
can make a Roman cement, the clay acts as a pozzolan to bind with the
lime to make a  natural cement.

on the bathtub idea, hydraulic lime is ALL imported into the US now,
 and if it is used as a tub inner plaster it should be polished to keep
 it as smooth as possible. I have samples of this lime from the
Transmineral rep. and sitting on a rough texture in a tub will not feel
good.  It can be made very smooth, but on bare skin you will still want
a rubber mat to  sit on I think.

and lastly, on some of my fibercrete recipes I use a lighterweight
paper-sawdust "core" to make a bowl, and cob-lime coating  OVER it, to
keep weight down of the finished piece.
this could be true for a tub or basin also.

Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
PO Box 375, Cutten   CA 95534 707-441-1632    books at dirtcheapbuilder.com
 http://www.dirtcheapbuilder.com    http://www.papercrete.com