[Cob] COB MIX DESIGN

latalley latalley at swva.net
Fri Nov 21 10:59:04 CST 2003

Hello, I am new to the coblist.

I am thinking about reinventing the wheel so to speak by experimenting with materials in cob mixes.

If anyone has been down the road of what if and try this, read on...

I am looking into adding different materials to a cob/earthen mix and test it for durability and structural characteristics.

Some of the materials I am gathering include: sawdust, vermiculite, perlite, different sizes/courses of sand, color pigment, colored sand, peatmoss, bark, lime, plaster of paris, crushed oyster shells, small pebbles, recycled glass, and so on...

I will be building the test clods in 12" or so cubes for material ratio tracking.

thoughts/comments/advice?

Michael LaRoche
Floyd, VA