[Cob] COB MIX DESIGN

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 22 07:52:56 CST 2003

Welcome to the coblist!  I've read a LOT more than I've done, but I believe
that every time you start work on a new site, or with new clay/sand, you get
to do tests to figure out how your mixtures are going to work--and tests to
see what's going to look nice as a wall surface.  So, reinventing the wheel
is not exactly what you're doing.

Charmaine Taylor uses a lot of sawdust, one of the Australians has been
testing gypsum in his mixes. Colored sand, mica dust, different colored
clays, and different coloring agents FOR clay--are used a lot in the surface
plasters, as are some mosaic effects.

If you're thinking low-impact and sustainable, then that makes a difference
in what you're going to want to use.  Unfortunately, around here, there's no
more lime kiln on Lime Kiln Road.  And unless I want to log and bulldoze a
fair amount of my woods, I get to buy my clay--the mostly likely building
site is probably silt a good ways down.

And if you're talking your base sand/clay/straw mix that someone is likely
to want to work with their bare hands or feet, I for one would avoid the
crushed oyster shells (Guy Clark does sing about tearing up his car's tires
on them oyster shell roads) and the recycled glass.

Ms Taylor's bookshop is www.dirtcheapbuilder.com and there are links from
there to what she's doing, other people's home page, and so on.

Michael LaRoche wrote:

I am thinking about reinventing the wheel so to speak by experimenting with
materials in cob mixes.

I am looking into adding different materials to a cob/earthen mix and test
it for durability and structural characteristics.

Some of the materials I am gathering include: sawdust, vermiculite, perlite,
different sizes/courses of sand, color pigment, colored sand, peatmoss,
bark, lime, plaster of paris, crushed oyster shells, small pebbles, recycled
glass, and so on...

I will be building the test clods in 12" or so cubes for material ratio
tracking.

thoughts/comments/advice?

Michael LaRoche
Floyd, VA