[Cob] dove cote

Teresa Banks tbanks98926 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 23:06:31 CST 2003

Hi Michael, and other cobbers,

I have also been thinking of making a dovecote, since I have doves and
all.  Presently they are housed in a hexagonal cage that I built, using
all recycled lumber, including the shingles for the roof.  It is pretty
cool, but once I do something, I don't want to repeat it, I want to do
it differently next time.

What I was thinking of, was a roundish cob structure, with 6 or 8
arched windows or openings, filled with embedded wire mesh.  I thought
it would be awesome to corbel out nesting ledges and build in some
nesting nooks.  I think they would look prettier than buckets, and I am
into "pretty".  They would be more difficult to clean probably.

And then, to top it all off, (pun intended), a reciprocal roof with a
skylight of some sorts.

What would you do for doors and windows in your column?  And why so
high?  Am I missing something?  I only have a dozen doves, perhaps you
have more, and there is a reason for height that I am unaware of ....

Anyway, sounds like a couple of fun cob projects!

Teresa