[Cob] new to list -- hello!

D Weatherford mococa at surfbest.net
Sat Dec 20 14:42:14 CST 2003

Ok, having read in the archives about over-excited newbies, I will try
to contain my exuberance at what I am learning!  ;-)

We live in NorthEast Texas (codes?  We don't need no stinkin' codes...)
on five acres and would like to build a home.  We currently live in a
mobile home and small cabin.  Because of our lifestyle, we don't have
lots of money and we don't want a 30 year mortgage to worry about.  Cob
looks very promising!

I have designed a house that I'm sure would look expansive to most of
you, but I think it's pretty small for a family of seven.  It's about
1000 sq ft, 4 BR, 1.5 bath, kitchen/dining/laundry, and living room
(single level).  Actually, I could probably squeeze it down a little
more by deducting a bedroom (our 15 yo daughter sleeps in a little
cabin out back) and I'll probably consider doing that.   I thought
about a plan that included a loft, but I hesitate since upstairs rooms
are so blazing hot in the summertime here.

I'm not in any hurry to get started -- want to gather all the info I
can and maybe attend a workshop or something.  At least we have a place
to live in until we can build.

Idea:  How about using dry pine needles instead of straw in the cob?

The weather here doesn't get terribly cold in the winter ( maybe in the
teens for a few nights out of three months) and I don't plan to use
earth contact on the north side of the house (2 rooms).  Does cob
conduct the cold that much?  Would it be better to use straw bales on
that side, or some sort of out-sulation?

How much overhang is needed on the roof (minimum)?

I'll probably start out by building a small shed for hay/feed and
goats, maybe next summer.

Looking forward to learning more...

Diane