[Cob] Process for buying land/building cob

Ms. Copper Harding copper at ekno.com
Thu Dec 25 00:44:47 CST 2003

Scott,

The best of luck!  You  might want to look at both the building and
zoning codes in the county before you embark on such a plan!  After
that I would recommend that you speak with the local building
department where you are hoping to build.  If their response is highly
negative and not "workable" you know you have an uphill battle.

What you are asking is a question most builders/developers have been
asking for a few years now.

If you buy land and the regulations on the land change after you
bought it restricting your "use" of the land it is called a "taking"
by the governemnt and is illegal - however recent court cases have
indicated that the government has a much stronger right to protect the
land - in other words if there is "any economic use" left in the land
you have not been harmed by the government regulations.

So - in english.  You buy land.  You plan to build a 20 story
waterfront hotel.  The government says no.  You can still build a
small guest house - you have not been harmed.

So in your situation the government says that the land is zoned
residential and you want to build something that is either NOT covered
in the building codes or is "experiemental" then you have not been
harmed because you can still reasonably be expected to build a
"normal" house on the land.

In short, someone else on the list may have more exerience with this
issue in the area that you are looking to build than I.  What I can
tell you is that, and please consult a local land use/realestate
attorney, your best option is to talk to the local
building/planning/zoning departments before buying.  However, in the
area I live they don't like to talk to "prospectives" unless that
person already lives in the area and is planning on doing a "second"
development.

My advice is general experience, I recommend you talk to someone from
California (probably on this list) and your local departments.

I wish you the best of luck and when dealing with them keep your
patience, politeness and perseverence!

Good luck!

Copper