[Cob] earthen oven/cob and freezing temps

phil phawn1 at excite.com
Sat Dec 27 20:10:46 CST 2003

We uncovered our oven today and decided to make pizza. Fired it all afternoon (5 hours) and baked to pies. The first was done in about 8-9 minutes the second closer to 25 minutes. They were wonderful!

On the subject of freezing: I have yet to build a structure to house my Dragon oven so we just keep a blue plastic tarp over it. When I uncovered it today I could see that that was a mistake. Condensation had wet the cob and when it hit freezing, bam, the wet surface expanded. Today was above freezing (first day in a week) so it had begun to thaw. Muddy mush would best discribe what it looked like. Not to worry, it will be easy to repair. It may not have been a problem if I had plastered before winter set in. We live and learn.

To see the dragon follow the address below.

Phil Hawn, President
The North Carolina Natural Building Coalition
http://naturalbuilder.org
cob, strawbale, cordwood and other sustainable earthbuilding techniques

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com