[Cob] cob/earth oven also heating [other stuff]

Amanda Peck ap615 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 4 12:21:25 CST 2005

Often the earth ovens don't have chimneys.  They're a little easier--and
use--to make that way, apparently work as well as those with chimney's

But that's not what you want in your house.  You might not even want to put
a chimney tall enough to do some good if you put the earth oven against a
wall of your house.

I think it would work better with a fireplace.

And it sounds like a wonderful idea.

Just had a brainstorm.

There's a picture in the rocket stove book of a gorgeous installation in
which the flue goes up below (inside cob, that is) a set of stairs.

If one was careful with angles in the flue pipe, and provided for cleanouts
and creating a draft if the weather was weird, I'd think that this could
work for a shower stall, maybe as the last gasp of the flue after it had
heated the nice long bench and was headed out of the building.  One can,
apparently, split and rejoin the flue, in fact it's a good idea to spread
the heat out, with one part on one side, one on the other of the shower

Louise wrote (snipped)

I was reading (well, ok, looking at the pictures) my Backwoods Home magazine
last night and it showed a big, stone fireplace with a shower stall built
into the other side of it.  That way the fireplace warmed up the shower
stall in the winter time, and in the summer time, it stayed nice and cool.

I'm wondering if that would work with a big cob oven?  I would have to
protect the cob that was exposed to water, but I'm sure that could be done
with, maybe, lime plaster?  We also have LOTS of rocks on our property, but
building a huge stone masonry oven sounds like lots of frustration, trying
to put an entire puzzle together - but might be able to make the actual
shower stall out of stone.  I'm fascinated with the idea, but my fiance
dismissed the whole idea as impossible.