[Cob] Shellac

joel cloud riorinotetsujin at warpmail.net
Tue Apr 26 15:13:33 CDT 2005

I was reading about shellac here:
http://www.assoc-restorers.com/r-articles/shellac.html

I remember using it in middle school woodshop class, but
knew little else.  Shellac is derived from the cocoons of
little bugs in south asia.  The bug makes it in part from
tree sap, so it is part resin in origin.  It's primary
uses in the modern world are in the pharmeseutical industry
to coat pills or candy (M&M's were once coated in shellac)

It has been used as a wood finish for hundreds (thousands)
of years in India.  I wonder if it would make a good floor/wall
etc. finish for cob?  Shellac resists water vapor very well,
better than polyeurathane (not that I want it in my house...)
Sounds useful to me anyhow...  The article has instructions
for how to buy shellac in flake form and mix it yourself.

I'm intrigued!

Joel