[Cob] Green insulation?

Rodger Chenoweth rodger at nelsonbuddha.com
Sat Feb 18 16:07:03 CST 2006

Hi Anna,
Have you considered using cedar chips with clay slip?
www.ravenisle.com/cob was a house I helped build... the entire second
floor had 12" thick double stud walls where we placed plywood forms
on either side, then poured premixed cedar chips, clay slip and a
small amount of straw into the space.  The forms could be removed
right away, and the wall held it's shape.  Once it dried, the end
result was super easy to plaster, was really hard, and supposedly has
an R value upwards of 24-30.  The Germans have been doing it for
decades.

If you want to know more, let me know.

Cheers
Rodger