[Cob] Cob basement is not advised - failure likely due to "rising damp" or "penetrating damp"!

ocean ocean at woodfiredeatery.com
Sun Mar 5 01:55:39 CST 2006

(Before reading my post, please read a great discussion of these issues
in the references to "rising damp" and "penetrating damp" on this
website - http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/article004.htm )

To begin, I can hear Ianto Evans chuckling (or scolding us) for some of
the suggestions and speculation recently about underground or "bermed"
cob.  I am sure he would have a lot to say on the subject, but he
doesn't seem participate in this forum - to busy getting his hands
dirty in the mud.  If he were reading the posts about the cob basement,
here are some concerns I think he might raise...

Cob by its very nature need to be above ground, built upon a fairly
high "plinth" or stone foundation.  This provides the moisture break
from the ground, one of the enemies of cob.  The strength of cob is
only possible if it has the chance to be come "bone" dry, and to do so
cob needs exposure to free air on BOTH sides.  Many medieval cob
structures are failing in Wales after the application of cement stucco
or latex paint on one or both sides of the cob.  The impermeable
surface traps moisture within the cob (which may have held up for
centuries), and then the straw rots and the cob fails.
So underground cob with a moisture barrier will necessarily prohibit
the cob from ever drying, and ultimately result if failure of the cob
to support the load - walls collapsing, roof falling in, crushing
inhabitants.

To the original post person - please rethink whether you really need to
violate the building code and go higher than 10 feet.  What about a
sleeping loft which is just 4 feet tall.  Or rething that you really
need to ask permission from local officials to build with cob...

Good luck!

Ocean