[Cob] Compost toilet and basement

Georgie Donais georgie at busygirl.ca
Wed Apr 5 12:07:26 CDT 2006

All,

I have a possible opportunity to install a commercially-made composting
toilet (a Phoenix 201) in a local park. I made a cob wall/enclosure in this
park last summer and would dearly like to continue with cob for this
building. There was a recent discussion on this list about the
inadvisability of basements, and I am wondering if there is a way to
reconcile this with the needs of this project.

This toilet tank is usually sunk into a "basement" up to six feet deep, so
that the toilet can sit on top of the tank and still be at ground level.
The other option is putting the tank on the (properly prepared) ground,
building up to a floor six feet off the ground, and creating a ramp. That
makes for a mighty tall building, which won't be allowed in the park, I
don't think.

As a compromise, my contact wonders if we can bury the tank a little, three
to four feet, then we could ramp up a couple of feet for the floor. The
building could have exterior dimensions of a bit less than 10" x 10".

Any suggestions?

Georgie
www.cobinthepark.ca