[Cob] Maybe the problem isn't oil

paul dotpaul at paulleblanc.net
Sun Jan 28 09:20:15 CST 2007

NEZAHUALCOYOTL, Mexico -- Thick, doughy tortillas roll hot off the conveyor
belt all day at Aurora Rosales's little shop in this congested city built on
a dry lake bed east of Mexico City.

Using cooking techniques that date to the Mayan empire, Rosales has never
altered her recipe. Nor did her father, grandfather or great-grandfather.
On good days, the neighbors line up for her tortillas. But these are not
good days, and sometimes hours pass without any customers.

Mexico is in the grip of the worst tortilla crisis in its modern history.
Dramatically rising international corn prices, spurred by demand for the
grain-based fuel ethanol, have led to expensive tortillas. That, in turn,
has led to lower sales for vendors such as Rosales and angry protests by
consumers.

The uproar is exposing this country's outsize dependence on tortillas in its
diet -- especially among the poor -- and testing the acumen of the new
president, Felipe Calderón. It is also raising questions about the powerful
businesses that dominate the Mexican corn market and are suspected by some
lawmakers and regulators of unfair speculation and monopoly practices.

This is a most disturbing piece to me.  Not only is ehtanol not as green as
we are led to believe (it is oil dependent to grow, harvest, process and
ship) but it literally takes the food off of somebody's table.

Now we can say that an individual fuel isn't the problem - it's the consumer
of the fuel, the internal combustion engine.  But even that begs the real
question of why we chose this crap over Tesla's energy sources, or even
solar.  That is the original bottom line where The Haves push us in a
direction that is questionable at best.