[Cob] STABLE WALL- lime weakens?

Charmaine Taylor dirtcheapbuilderbooks at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 17:14:09 CDT 2009

RODGER said:   Lime could actually weaken the wall, interfering with
the clay's binding.

HI Rodger can you give an example or anecdote of this ?  I do add
2%-10% lime to all my clay projects specifically to bind the clay
forever.

it is true a really good clay is perfect as is.

but if  HER clay is not, then a 2-3% addition of lime  at least will
bind very well all the parts of the clay and sand,  and also get hard
as a rock.

 I am most interested in  where you learned/observed/heard  this, so I
can  educate myself-- any details are appreciated.  3rd or 4th hand
info is hard to validate.

I have very high silty& sandy clay soil here, so the lime binds it all
very well. we call it Blue goo- it is sometimes all silt, and a
gorgeous rich blue color when fresh  harvested, then turns greyish in
the air.  but the blue color is fabulous-- wish it could stay that
way!

--
Ms. Charmaine  Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
Toll Free Order: 1-888-441-1632