Cob and strawbale combo (fwd)

SSS Alive sssalive at primenet.com
Sun Sep 15 11:50:36 CDT 1996

>Well I had a bit of a failure as well (today).
>I was attempted to build a clay coated straw wall. basicly you lightly coat
>straw and press in it  forms. The web site info I read said  you could move
>the forms up right away. The walls had a thickness of about 6 inches. The
>instructions then mentioned that after the straw dries you can  coat it with

I just built a lite-straw clay outhouse.  I used 2 feet tall by 8 feet wide
forms, and about 6 inches thick and I packed in the straw very tight.  I
also used a liberal amount of clay that coated my hand when I stuck it into
the slip and it stayed coated.  The straw was definately going to stick
together with its coating of clay.  I used my body weight (135 lbs) to pound
that straw-clay mixture down with my feet into the form. I left the forms on
for 2 to 3 hours (summer time).  I built up to 4 & 1/2 walls (9 feet).  Your
right, it's hard work so I got help when I could.  But it's holding so far.
I not putting on chicken wire or cement.  I'm going to use a clay mixture
with sand, hair and nepale cactus juice for a plaster.   I'll let the list
know how the plaster holds.

Good with your lite/clay straw project.  Keep trying.

Carol Escott
sssalive