CALENDAR ALERT - Natural Building Colloquium

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Wed Oct 2 01:48:19 CDT 1996

Since I don't have a problem with postings of this sort on the Cob List,
here is Ann's latest post on the Natural Building colloquium, including
the registration form.

Shannon Dealy
dealy at deatech.com

Straw-bale, cob, and other natural building enthusiasts --

This is a tremendous opportunity: a full week of learning about natural
building in a gorgeous rural northern California valley for a **MERE,
all-inclusive $350** -- registration & tuition, camping, and three gourmet
vegetarian meals a day. Rides from S.F. Bay Area airports arranged upon
request.

Space is filling up!!! Send in payment TODAY to reserve your place:
Colloquium '96, 115 Angelita Avenue, Pacifica, CA 94044.

Third Annual Fall
NATURAL BUILDING COLLOQUIUM

Monday, October 28 to Sunday, November 3, 1996

Shenoa Learning and Retreat Center, Philo, California

cob * adobe * superadobe * rammed earth * PISE * strawbale
* straw-clay * stone * timber * bamboo * wattle & daub *
living roofs * natural floors * energy, water, and waste systems *
temporary housing * permaculture * community building

Practitioners of appropriate building technologies -- mark your calendars!

Join us at this creative construction jam session as we dive into
unblueprinted endeavors, form the unknown, and pioneer the unpracticed
practical. It's a chance to tackle some of the tough challenges of
alternative construction and work shoulder to shoulder with fellow
craftspeople.

The Fall 1996 Natural Building Colloquium, like those held in 1994 and
1995, provides a stage for advancing state-of-the-art natural construction
and exploring hybrid building systems. The format is mostly hands-on and
builder-to-builder, encouraging each of us to be both teacher and student.
We invite knowledgeable and experienced practitioners  who can help each
other solve the unique problems that natural building faces. Natural
roofing systems, for example, continue to intrigue and perplex us, as do
alternative foundation systems and wall finishes.

The synergy of collective talent made previous colloquia in Oregon and New
Mexico lifetime experiences for many. Participants have come from Canada,
Wales, Australia, Mexico, Norway, and all parts of the U.S., sharing new
techniques and viewpoints. We're counting on you to bring that magic to
Shenoa!  Please spread the word to people you believe will make an
effective contribution to this event. Also notify us of anyone you would
like us to invite, including designers/builders with special or unusual
skills.

Setting

Shenoa is a beautiful rural retreat center two hours north of San Francisco
by car. It is home to the first permitted load-bearing straw-bale structure
in California, as well as several other natural building projects, a
sustainably managed  forest, and Findhorn-inspired organic gardens.

Application

Apply earlywe expect this event to fill quickly! The site will accommodate
50 people camping and another 50 in cabins. The cost is $350 for campers
with three vegetarian or vegan meals per day; a cabin upgrade is an
additional $75. Call or write for an application form.

Colloquium `96 Organizing Committee
115 Angelita Avenue, Pacifica, CA 94044 USA

Ann Edminster   415-355-9150 or
                74200.746 at compuserve.com
David Baty &
Janice Sandeen  415-663-8708
John Fordice    510-549-1033
Katy Langstaff  510-526-6991
Lynne Elizabeth earthlynne at earthlink.net
Cob Cottage Co. 541-942-2005

Travel Subsidy

To encourage participation by natural builders from outside the United
States, and in particular from low-wealth nations, we are establishing a
travel subsidy fund. Please consider making a contribution and asking
friends, family members, sustainability advocates, and organizations to
contribute. Donations from $200 to $2,000 will help make it possible for us
to learn from other cultures. Send to the address above.

Third Annual Fall
NATURAL BUILDING COLLOQUIUM

Monday, October 28 to Sunday, November 3, 1996
Shenoa Learning and Retreat Center, Philo, California

cob * adobe * superadobe * rammed earth * PISE * strawbale * straw-clay *
stone * timber * bamboo * wattle & daub * living roofs * natural floors *
energy, water & waste systems * temporary housing * permaculture *

*********** REGISTRATION (please mail with your check)**********************

We hope to see you at Shenoa on October 28!  Ensure your space at the
colloquium by completing and returning this invitation as quickly as you
can.

name
address
e-mail
phone
fax

Please describe your involvement with or interest in natural building in
approximately 25 to 50 words (this description will be used in the
colloquium directory):

Are you interested in coordinating a building project, doing a
presentation, or sharing a skill, information, or other item with other
colloquium participants?  yes / no

Please describe, including any material or equipment requirements (e.g.,
slide projector, flip chart, blackboard, building materials):

Are there topics you would particularly like to see covered at this
colloquium?

Please indicate your preferred accommodations and payment enclosed below:
  Camping: $350 including meals          $350
        or      $______ deposit*
  Cabin:  $425 including meals            $425
        or      $______ deposit*

Note: cabin bed numbers vary; please state if you have preferred
cabin companion(s):

Contribution: your extra donation will help make it possible to offer
scholarships to presenters from outside the United States.  $ ______
Total: make check payable to Colloquium '96                      $ ______

*Please send a minimum deposit of $100, or the full amount if possible.
If space is filled before we receive your registration, we will return your
check.

To assist in your travel planning, the first meal will be dinner on Monday,
10/28; the last will be lunch  on Sunday, 11/3.

Do you need a ride from San Francisco, Oakland, or San Jose airport or
elsewhere? If so, please describe your travel plans so that we can try to
coordinate
ride-shares, etc.:

Please return this form, with your check, to:
        Colloquium '96
        115 Angelita Avenue
        Pacifica, CA 94044 USA

                                        74200.746 at compuserve.com
        John Fordice                    510-549-1033
        Lynne Elizabeth                 earthlynne at earthlink.net
        David Baty & Janice Sandeen     415-663-8708
        Katy Langstaff                  510-526-6991
        Cob Cottage Co.                 541-942-2005