Crash and New Configuration

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Sun Nov 17 03:31:28 CST 1996

Since the coblist gets so few postings, you probably didn't notice, but
the system that manages the list and provides the internet link to my
office lost its hard drive on Thursday.  If anyone posted to the cob list
on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, you should resend your message.  In
theory it should only be possible for messages received in the hour
immediately prior to the crash to have been lost, but since I have no
postings for these days, I thought I should check.

You should also be aware if you try to access the archives or web site,
that the server will be a little slower and more unstable since I have
been forced to use an older computer and slower modem until the usual
computer is repaired in a couple weeks.

In addition to the above, I took this opportunity (??) to completely
reconfigure and update the system software.  I had been planning this for
a few weeks, but would have preferred a little more time to prepare.
Anyway if you see anything strange, please let me know as soon as
possible.

NOTE FOR THE CURIOUS:  If you are wondering why it takes a couple weeks
to get a computer repaired, and why I have to use a slower modem when
it was the hard disk that died, the answer is simple: my internet feed
is managed by a laptop computer with a PCMCIA modem.  I have been planning
for the last year to take my office solar powered and have been working to
reduce power consumption.  The laptop that manages the link has been
carefully configured for the absolute minimum power consumption (since it
is on 24 hours a day) and prior to the crash was averaging about 6 to 7
watts.

Shannon Dealy
dealy at deatech.com