No subject

Kat Morrow firststraw at igc.apc.org
Mon Nov 18 18:15:23 CST 1996

Sorry for the following responses to some old messages, I was on the digest
and just got the update (yes, I'm changing back as I would prefer to be
current with the cob news)....

> Also as you mentioned above, you will
>get less protection of the walls from your roof overhangs which will
>cause faster weathering of the cob or plaster in those climates where rain
>is a common occurance.

But what is considered fast weathering?  There are building in England 100s
of years old (often 2 story) that are still in great shape without huge
overhangs.  Maybe all that is needed is good maintanance of the plaster and
finish......

> To provide for longer life of the plaster, it may be desireable to use a
>natural
>paint such as a lime wash to protect the plaster from weathering, since
>it is easier to periodically paint the wall than it is to periodically
>patch/replaster.

And speaking of finishes, lime in particular, does anyone know where one
might get type N lime?  I have actually heard that it is preferrable for
plasters but hard to obtain.  I would imagine it would need to be slaked
for a long period of time prior to use to avoid the swelling?  I have heard
that in the olden days that lime was slaked for 3 years before being used
and was always used as a putty.  Anyone know more about this?  These days
I've only seen people mix dry lime into a plaster then apply it immediatly.

Also, I second Shannons opinion that cob walls could work in raised beds.
I have seen a cob test wall (here in Tucson, a little different climate!)
that had been exposed for about 2 years and had weathered but was still in
good shape.  The rock covering would greatly increase the life of the wall
as would allowing sufficient wall drying time before you add the garden
soil.