Crash, New Configuration, and a goad for Colloquium news

Shannon C. Dealy dealy at deatech.com
Thu Nov 21 16:46:44 CST 1996

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, M J Epko wrote:

> At 01:31 AM 11/17/96 -0800, Shannon wrote:

[SNIP]
> converts? I've heard rumblings that it was a great time. Did you learn
> anything new that that you'd care to pass along to us, your loyal listmembers?
[SNIP]

Learned quite a few interesting things, I spent much of the colloquium
playing gopher for Fleming Abrahamson, a thatcher from Denmark.  I learned
quite a bit about thatching, enough that I hope to give it a try next
year (learned enough to be dangerous :-)   Actually he only thatches a few
months out of the year, he spends most of his time tinkering, and has
spent quite a bit of time developing composting toilets.  I like his
toilet designs better than anything I have seen so far, and learned a few
things about it that I have never heard anywhere else.  He gave me an
article he wrote that I have permission to post on the web site (I'll let
you know when it's posted).  He had a number of pictures of his work, my
favorite was a picture of a portable composting toilet he designed and
built (similar in size to the chemical toilets found at fairs and sporting
events).  It had two large wheels built in for transporting it, was built
like a large cylindrical wicker basket, and roofed with thatch (naturally)
(pun intended :-)  Unfortunately I don't have a picture (I tried, but
Polaroid camera's don't work well for pictures of pictures).  Learned a
number of other things too (lots of notes).  I will try to post
information both here and on the web site over the next month (I'll let
you know when the web site is updated),

Sorry to be so slow, but between being gone for a week, the crash of the
firewall computer, and end of the year paper work, I'm way behind.  I
think my current customer would appreciate it if I actually wrote a little
software once in a while too.

I know at least a couple of you were also at the colloquium, and could
also post to this list what you learned.

Shannon Dealy
dealy at deatech.com